Monday, May 01, 2006

somewhere

I found my way through the dark and then I'm through the door and into the bright lights laughing.
"You do drugs?" He asks.
"Not today."
"Come on." She says.
Giving me an eye from across the room is another girl and I opt for her company instead of the two monkeys flanking me.
I walk away as they ask for a light for their joint, following the tractor beam gaze in front of me, stepping up as she asks, "You have a light?" for a cigerette as she pulls one from her shoulder strap and I reach into my pocket and pull out a pack of matches I stole from the bar I had just come from. She grins, then her boyfriend walks over and pushes me out of the way and I'm agitated before my shoulder slams into a guy's gut and I look up and me the giants gaze.
He has has spiky hair.
I just made him spill his drink.
He has no expression on his face and walks away. I feel like a giant killer. But before I can move again, somebody else is on me and talking fast.
She speaks in broken speech that I can't understand. Then falls into me, holding me for support. Her eyelashes tickle my skin. I'm wondering. She's clining to me. My phone is ringing in my pocket. I push her away so I can answer and she spirals across the room, unable to catch her balance.
I answer the phone just as she hangs up on the other end, missing her voice.
Then I turn around, to find a friend and run into another.
"I've tried. Can't think of what else to do. Just can't get the results. You know?"
"I Guess," I say.
I walk away, not really understanding.
Somewhere in the back room a man is singing.
I head that way and find him singing alone, to some Usher song. So I walk away again and head down a hall. There are doors all round me. Each one closed. I'm wandering around the house and remember that everyone hates a tourist. Then I find an open door, cool air rushing from it and all and decided its my best option.
Sometime around midnight I leave the scene and find myself drifting around somewhere.
Somewhere is better than nowhere, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home