Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Reconstruction

Ok, well, it starts out with me sitting on curb in Ohio, the University of, Athens to be exact and I'm drinking a can of Coors, or at least he tells me its Coors. Ohio University, its a nice place, good college town, and friendly, different, if that makes sense, but nice. It's in the hills of southern Ohio and its cool there, even in the summer, and the air is fresh. Its hallmark is that it's one of the biggest party schools around, top two, my friend tells me, and I tell him to show me that in writing.
Well, I'm sitting on the curb drinking Coors, or at least thats what he tells me because its actually in a Keystone can and he says that Keystones are just Coors with dents in the cans and the dent makes it taste different. I don't believe him, so I tell him to show me where he found that information. It dosn't taste like Coors, but I drink it anyways. I'm wearing shorts and a polo and I'm a little cold because its a little cool and the sun is setting and there is a breeze between the hills that surround the school. I'm smoking a ciggarette thats been burning for a while, even so I just smoked one and the last one made my mouth taste like New York City after the planes hit the towers on Sept. 11- smoked out. The sky is orange, still a little blue in the east. A few minutes ago I met Jessica. She knows me from the last time I was up here, I was drunk, blackout like the rolling brown-outs in So Cal, and she had tried to talk to me and I think has bumped me and I had spilled my drink all over some guy and I wanted to fight the fucker because he made a big deal about it but my friend had dragged me, litterally, out of the party. She followed us back. I think she ended up hooking up with my friend, can't remember, I was drunk.
Jessica was a good looking girl, blonde and figured well. And she sat next to me on the curb. We talked. I smoked. And she smoked after I offered her one and she said she's trying to quit because she was a chain smoker and I agreed that it would be a good idea if she did and she smiled and invited us to her apartment, later on that night, and left. My friend said she liked me because he knew how she worked because she had got with some of his friends and that we should go to her apartment tonight because I needed something to remember this trip to Ohio University. I hate my friend's judgement. I told him I wasn't up here for the parties or the girls, but to see him. Period. And she had too much make-up on. And is/was a chain smoker. And, sober, I could tell I didn't like her personality and for me, these days, after going out with a string of "socially" good looking, yet totally stupid girls, personality was my biggest turn on.
Maybe some day he'll understand.
Anyways, I have someone else on my mind when he finds some article in a newspaper that says OU is #2 party school and I only half read it and the next one which points out about dented Coors because now, like i said I have someone else on my mind.
I flip through the newspaper and see an advertisment for the movie 'Garden State' and remember that Natalie Portman in that movie really reminds me of who I'm thinking about and I smile, or grin, and my friend grins because he thinks I'm reading the article about the #2 party school that OU seems to be and he is very proud of that.
Thoughts of her get me through the days, I've concluded. They're nice thoughts.
We went to some party that night and some girl wanted to take her top off for my friend and I could care less to see exposed skin, so said leave it on, and that didn't go over well with my friend. Sorry, buddy. He said "Fuck this new Chris Miles", because he thinks I've changed and I think I'll have to agree, for now anyways.
Fuck this new Chris Miles. No, that dosn't sound right.
When I was driving home I realized that I hadn't even got into a fight up there, though there were ample oppertunities.
Damn, what if I'm turning into a pussy.
Damn the reconstruction of Chris Miles.
No, I don't mean that. I like the state I'm in, the thoughts and everything, if that makes sense. If it dosn't then maybe you'll understand one day, like my friend.
On the drive home I chewed gun because I had smoked and my mouth tasted like it but the gum, though very sharp and, dare I say "spicy", reconstructed the normal taste of spit in my mouth. i thought about New York. Thats were we had our first conversation. New York City. After the fall of the towers.
Its nice to think they're rebuilding them again.
I don't like things broken, laying in ruin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home