Sunday, January 11, 2009

Midnight Mirage

The golden moon hangs high in the rusty sky.
Dusk, and I'm thirsty.
My eyes flutter once or twice and then there is dark and then there is light and the warm room around me and I'm somewhere else.
She hands me the drink and I drink.
She stares at me. And I lose my mind.
It's a spiral straw, neon green, like her eyes. I feel like I'm glowing. I take the glass and drink, falling. The white cursive ribbons that spell "Coca Cola" on the red can next to me begin to dance, then whip at me. Licking me up, I feel cool. There is a half empty bottle of bourbon next to her and she is smiling, consumed by it. And I consume it. And float with the fizz.
She's across from me, some pale princess poised and ready and I pinch myself to see if this is real and I don't feel a thing.
Drunk and dreaming and I'm riding in the desert sun, transitionless as it all is, face cloaked from the coming dust storm, eyes hard. Nomad. The desert was a place I've never been. The one place, really. That's where my dream puts me. The sun above is burning. And I'm burning with it. High from her.On the horizon something begins to rise.
Like a mirage she appears, walks to me, reaches out with glimmering eyes. And just as quickly she disappears.
I wake up in the morning and my mouth is parched. Somewhere along the night I lost my oasis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home