Monday, August 20, 2007

walkie talkie

"I want to be an actress."
"That's cute. I wanted to be an actor once."
"Did you?"
"When I was young."
"Aren't you still young?"
"Are you a journalist?"
"He's a journalist," she tells her, leaning in close, pointing to me.
"Oh. How do you like it?"
"It doesn't pay the bills."
"Then why do it."
"Heard of Bayern Munich?"
"No."
"Soccer team. In Germany. My dream is to get a press pass."
"Back stage access?"
I tip my drink.
"Really?" She asks.
"No." I say. "Only thing I'm good at."
"Really?"
"No."
I wink.
Later in the shower I think about the actress. I'm looking for inspiration. Before I left we said:
"We just walked her home." she points with her thumb in a general direction behind her.
"What about me?" I say.
"You can take care of yourself."
She throws her arms around me.
"Have fun in L.A."
"New York," she corrects.
"I'll never see you again." And maybe that is aweful to say because that means she'd fail as an actress, but, whatever.
I think as I leave that I wish there was a train station close and another one close to where I need to be so I could just step on, step off and be there. Without all the traveling my legs would have to do.
I wave good bye.
"No random quirp? No quick jab as you leave?"
"No, I tired."
The best 'The End'.
"See you never."
I wave good bye.
Gertrude Stein once said remarks aren't literature.
But I'm in the shower looking for inspiration.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

I want to know more of what the heck you're talking about

12:23 PM  
Blogger Derek Poore said...

I can see for miles and miles! I can see for miles and miles! I can see for miles and miles! I can see for miles and miles! I can see for miles and miles! I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and milezzzzzzzzzz!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home