Thursday, February 17, 2005

sin

"My name is Sarah."
"Hello."
"I like your tie." She played around with it, twirling it between her fingers.
"Thank you."
She grinned and pulled on it.
"Is that all you can say?" She was smiling and her eyes pierced. She wanted something.
"I like your eyes?"
She looked at the ground and let go of the tie.
"Hmm, Come back to me when you have something better." She walked away and everyone's eyes watched her as she crept to a corner, disappearing behind a door.
The room was dark and everything was neon and black-light colored.
Smoke spiraled from the lips of those sitting at the table as they laughed together and kept their eyes on the stage, mesmorized.
After some time she came back.
"What about now?" she asked.
"No, I don't have the money."
"Come on. Get it from one of your friends."
"All my friends have wasted all their money on all your friends. Hell, I had to borrow cash just to get in."
"ATM. " She pointed to the ATM glowing electric blue on the other side of the room.
"I don't have debit."
She frowned, waited.
"I can make a deal with you. Ten dollars and a sip of this here Sprite. Thats all I have."
"I thought you said you didn't have any money, and what's in the Sprite?"
"I'm holding the money for someone, and there's nothing in the Sprite."
"Ok, come on. But only because I like Sprite."
She started to walk.
"Don't tell any one about this." She looked over her shoulders suspiciously.
"Why? Whats the problem?"
She was still smiling. She walked further to the back of the room where the lights were the dimmest and the smoke the heaviest and began to speak elaborately of the socio-economic complexities involving the deal we had made.
"If I take ten and the other girls charge fifteen then more people will come to me over them. Thats why we constantly have a fixed rate here, as to discourage competition." And she ended with that.
You really do meet the oddest people in the oddest places.
"Wow, never thought of it like that. Your a smart girl."
"Thank you."
"Paying your way through college?"
"I dropped out."
"I'm sorry."
"No, don't worry, I'll re-enroll next semester." She took a long drink of the Sprite. "There's nothing in this drink."
"Thats what I said."
"I love a good drink. I wish I was drunk right now. Trust me, then you'd really get the most for your money. Lets wait for the next song, make sure none of the other girls sees. My TV broke this morning when I woke up and I got pissed and had some drinks this morning. I was drunk up until this afternoon."
"I guess I'm sorry."
"Where are you from?"
"Here."
"Me too."
"Its a nice place."
"I've seen better."
"Me too."
She smiled, big, friendly.
"I still like your tie." she said. The song that had been playing stopped and the stage in the center of the room became empty.
"Whats your name again?"
"Marie."
"I thought you said it was Sarah."
"Thats what all of us say."
"You have a very nice name."
A new song started.
"Thank you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home